Sunday, October 27, 2013

Growing

As week two came quickly around, I managed to make another quick visit to the Little Chatt I have going on. (For those that are confused, the Tennessee State Aquarium (most well known in the state) is in Chattanooga. Therefore I call my aquarium a miniature version of that). Let me tell you, things have changed since last week. The overall look of the aquarium is even a little different. To me, it seems, the plant has grown and the water level has risen just a teeny bit.

There were moving organisms floating around in the water. They were moving in a very slow manner, almost trying to peck at things as they go about their merry way. Some were just hanging out by the plant stem, and some others were moving around on an actual stem and inside the stem.

I did see, though, many multicellular organisms. They were mostly swimming around casually. I didn't see too many single celled. There were many midges and rotifers around the plant. TONS of protozoa lingered around, along with bacteria, but there was plenty of them at the bottom of the aquarium near the dirt. There weren't many chlorophyll colored organisms. The midges and rotifers were green, but the Eupolotes I saw and euglenas I saw floating around were clear, and you could see straight through the.

These organisms had various habitats. Some liked to hover around the plants edge, some buried themselves insdie the stem and some moved in, around and out the plant to get to stuff. It just depended on the organism and what they were doing. There were some organisms that hardly moved at all; they were merely just "chillin".

Overall, I was able to identify five organisms. I questioned a lot of them, but I'm sure i will be able to identify them here within the next few weeks. The plant grew in size, as I said before. There are more organisms. The number of rotifers increased and there are a few more midges than there was last week. Fortunately, I could not spot dead organisms at the bottom of the tank. I'm sure they were down there, but I could not see where they were hiding.

No comments:

Post a Comment